Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Reflections...by Miranda

Well as you have already read, the exhibition ended last Saturday. To me it was a succesfull event as well and I'm very proud of the results and the way things went.
Thanks again to all the people who helped us to realize this exhibition. The video, the translations, the transportation we needed, the possibility to have a nice place to present everything, the visitors with their interest and attention and of course above all the participants of our project! Their enthusiasm and motivation during the workshop made this exhibition so beautifull and colorfull! The video, which was taken and played during the exhibition, made it to me for the first time possible to look as an outsider to the project. Inside things look different, because you're working and have many things which ask your attention. When I saw the video I saw the happy faces of the people during the workshop, I saw their concentration and motivation.. I felt (and still I do) very proud at our participants! They created beautifull things and made this with joy!
More then before, I also realized the importance of this kind of activities. I should have realized it earlier, because when I'm experimenting in my room with a certain idea for the workshop and the result is nice, I feel proud as well! Creating something by yourself gives you self-esteem and a proud feeling, because what you created is unique! Like Isabel wrote before, I don't consider myself as a hero and yes no way I can save the world alone, haha. Though I realize more and more that all small steps can help to bring more joy in people's life. We can help and learn from each other.
I studied social work in the Netherlands and my study focuses on the aspect of talking and conversation. During my time as an EVS volunteer and now during this program I realize the importance of expression through art. I see how you can feel calm, by putting all your concentration in an activity. I see how people learn to help eac hother and learn from each other by working in a group and see each others work. I see how the feeling of self-esteem increases, because you created something by your own hands. I see how you can be yourself by making your own choices in your unique creations....I think I made clear the importance of art and what it can bring to you.
Before coming to Greece I can tell you that I wasn't sure if I could make this kind of project. Another country, with another culture, another language, another way and rhytm of working, far from home...fears I had for sure. Now I look back at the last four months and I'm surprised about what we realised and I feel proud! Well, without the support of my dear collegue and friend Isabel, things would have been much more difficult. I think we make a great team together. We fullfill and complete things with our different capabilities and like this we can make the best of it, so we continue and are still full of ideas! We will keep bringing you news about the process of our project and we will work forward to our second exhibition, which will be in September. We expect it to be another great experience with the motivation of the participants, our motivation and of course the motivation and help we get from all the people around us. Where would we be without them! They make our project more rich and interesting, because of them we have more possibilities and this is very important. This importance is another thing I learned to understand very well.
Till now I can't be different than positive in my reflection to you. I'm happy for this and I will continue with a lot of motivation!
Miranda

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Miranda for making this project possible, because you are full of motivation and good ideas. Believe more in yourself and in your capabilities!!
Your "dear" collegue... hahaha

Anonymous said...

It is just great working with you both!!! I wish this project never ends....
k.